If you’re giving away or getting rid of the body, it is important that you unlink Windows 10 license from Microsoft account. Here’s how.
Starting from Windows 10, Microsoft allowed users to link their Windows 10 license to their Microsoft account. Among the best reasons for linking Windows 10 license with Microsoft account is it automatically activates Windows when you reinstall it on a single machine. All you need to do is log into your Microsoft account in Windows 10. Simply put, you will no longer have to enter the product key manually every time.
Though linking the license is fairly easy, it’s not very easy if you want to unlink Windows 10 license from Microsoft account. Unlinking the license is fairly important if you wish to donate your PC/laptop, market it second hand, or dispose of it. Without further ado, allow me to show how you can unlink Windows 10 license from Microsoft account.
Steps to Unlike Windows 10 License from Microsoft Account
To unlink Windows 10 license, you need to perform two major steps. That is, change to a nearby account after which delete the pc entry from your Microsoft account. To create things easier, I divided the guide into two sections. Just stick to the steps out of the box and you’ll be completed in no time.
Note: Before proceeding, be sure you know your pc name. This is particularly important for those who have multiple computer links to the same Microsoft account.
1] Switch to Local Account
1. First, make sure that you are logged to your main Windows 10 account that’s linked to the Microsoft account.
2. Next, open the Settings app by pressing Win + I. Now, go to the “Accounts ?¨² Your Info” tab. On the right page, click on the “Sign in with local account instead” link.
3. You’ll be prompted with a confirmation window, click the “Next” button.
4. Next, type in the password or PIN to ensure and press “Enter”.
5. Now, set a new username, password, and hint. Click on the “Next” button.
6. Within this window, click the “Sign out and finish” button. This will sign you out.
Sign back in with the password you place in step 5. Once you are logged in, stick to the second section.
2] Remove Computer from Microsoft Account
After singing out, you can now proceed to safely unlink from Microsoft account.
1. All the linked devices are listed on a single page inside your Microsoft account. So, head over to this page.
2. You might be prompted for any password or PIN. Authenticate yourself and continue to the next step.
3. Find your computer within the listing of devices and then click the “Manage” link.
4. Underneath the computer name, you will notice a drop-down menu called “Manage”. Click on it after which click the “Remove PC/Laptop” option.
You might visit a warning or confirmation window, accept it and also the PC or laptop will be unlinked from your Microsoft account.
That’s it. You’re finished.